Posts Tagged DirectoryServicesPermission

Request for the permission of type ‘System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryServicesPermission, System.DirectoryServices, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a’ failed – InfoPath 2007 forms Security Levels

When I was trying to display user information from Active Directory(AD) in an InfoPath form, I have got an error message saying that I don’t have permissions to access the Directory services. 😦

Details of the error message:

Text format of the error:

System.Security.SecurityException
 Request for the permission of type 'System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryServicesPermission, System.DirectoryServices, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' failed.
at Template2.FormCode.GetOU(String username)
at Template2.FormCode.CTRL1_5_Clicked(Object sender, ClickedEventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Office.InfoPath.Internal.ButtonEventHost.OnButtonClick(DocActionEvent pEvent)
at Microsoft.Office.Interop.InfoPath.SemiTrust._ButtonEventSink_SinkHelper.OnClick(DocActionEvent pEvent)

I have faced this kind of security level errors while creating a web parts using Active Directory(AD) and you can read this in my previous post.

Basically InfoPath provides three security levels for forms, they are:

  • Restricted
  • Domain
  • Full Trust

The security levels determine whether a form can access data on other domains, or access files and settings on a user’s computer. If you need more info about this, just click here.

When we design/create an InfoPath form, the minimum trust level will be assigned in-default and which is not enough to access the Directory Services. So we need to change the trust level to access the information.  These are the simple steps to change the Trust Levels in InfoPath,

Step 1: Open the Form template in Design Mode

Step 2: Click the Form Options on the Tools menu

Step 3: You will be getting the following window and the security levels automatically determined

Step 4: Unchecked the check box, give the permissions to ‘Full Trust’ and then click OK

That’s all, you can access the Directory Services programmatically and display in your InfoPath form.  Sometimes you will be getting another error after fixing this (probably after publishing to SharePoint), to solve this problem we just need to specify the digitally signed certificate for this form. Check out the error message here.

Thanks. R./

Advertisements

, , , , , , ,

2 Comments

The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy – DirectoryServices

I have developed a custom search and successfully deployed in our SharePoint 2007 (We have almost 16 sites and one document library, so we decided to filter the search according to the location, I will post the step by step development to the custom search later :)). My manager asked me to pick the location (ie. Organizational Unit (OU)) from Active Directory (AD) according to the user dynamically and I have written a method to pick the OU, you can see the post here. So far I didn’t get any problem but when I tried to deploy the web part to the SharePoint, I have got several errors and I managed to solve them but the following error gave me very hard time.

Security Exception: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy.  To grant this application the required permission please contact your system administrator or change the application’s trust level in the configuration file.

Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type ‘System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryServicesPermission, System.DirectoryServices, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a’ failed.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

I tried several solutions to fix this issue but no luck, because my C# code is trying to access the AD information which is in the different server, so there is no trusted permission from SharePoint, but I could access the details form the local machine. Finally I just read the error message carefully and modified the Trust Level in the SharePoint web.config to “Full” then it was working.

Please note: Changing this Trust Level might harm your SharePoint Security!

To do the changes:

Step1: Open the web.config file (Using Notepad OR Visual Studio)

Step2: Locate the <trust level=”WSS_Minimal” originUrl=”” /> tag in the web. config file. The default value is “WSS_Minimal”. I tried “WSS_Medium” but it didn’t solve the problem, sometimes it will solve yours.

Step3: Change the <trust level=”Full” originUrl=”” />

That’s all, it is working now. Happy coding n SharePointing! There are some other solutions for this related issue, you can try.

1. Changes on the .NET Framework 2.0 Configuration tool, Tim Huffam’s blog will show how to do the work around.

References:

1. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555466

2. http://us.generation-nt.com/answer/using-system-directoryservices-sharepoint-webpart-help-35022312.html

3. http://geekswithblogs.net/timh/archive/2006/03/08/71714.aspx

, , , , , , , ,

4 Comments