Archive for category SSRS

SSRS Error 3: The configuration file contains an element that is not valid. The ReportServerUrl element is not a configuration file element.

My Environment:

1. SSRS 2005 64bit

2. Windows 2008 R2 64bit

3. IIS 7.5

4. After completing the Reporting services set-up, I have got all necessary green mark  on the configuration manager window.

Then I tried to access the Reports url http://localhost/reports and I have got the following error message!

And the Source Error and Stack trace are:

To fix this issue, just follow these steps, the same modification of the “RSWebApplication.config” will solve this issue too.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

SSRS Error 2: The attempt to connect to the report server failed. Check your connection information and that the report server is a compatible version.

After configuring the Reporting Services (SSRS 2005), I tried to access the Report url http://localhost/reports and I have got an error saying “The ReportServerVirtualDirectory element is missing” then I fixed the issue you can check the steps in my previous post. After resolving this issue,  I  could access the ReportManager page but with the following error:

This means that I have configured the Reporting Server but cannot be reachable via http://localhost/ and I tried in several ways to fix this issue and finally end-up with the following solution:

Step 1: Open the “RSWebApplication.config” file in a Notepad or any other editor. (Normally it is located “C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.X\Reporting Services\Reports” but for me under “D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\Reporting Services\ReportManager”)

Step 2: Check whether <ReportServerUrl> and <ReportServerVirtualDirectory> elements having any values.

Step 3: If  <ReportServerUrl> tag’s element is empty then add the full url of the ReportServer (Not Reports).

Please note: I have tried with server IP, Server Name and localhost, all are working fine for me and if you want to use server name and it ‘s using different port number other than 80, then the ReportServerUrl should be: http://servername:portnumber/ReportServer.

Step 4: If  <ReportServerVirtualDirectory>  tag’s element has any value (for me ReportServer is there, which was added to fix the previous error) then just delete it and leave it empty.

Step 5: Recycle the ReportServer’s App-Pool to reload the “RSWebApplication.config” file. (Just go to the IIS –> Application Pool and click the Recycling on the right hand panel)

That’s all, hope you would get the following page! 🙂

References:

1. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-HK/sqlreportingservices/thread/530ed56d-7c84-4d13-8998-80a8bf142197

2. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/0afd896c-8957-4ec1-b9db-5b4e62eccbc0/

, , , , , ,

2 Comments

SSRS Error 1: An error occurred while parsing the configuration file. The ReportServerVirtualDirectory element is missing

I am installing a 3rd party Auditing Software for our SharePoint 2007 farm and it needs SQL Reporting Services (SSRS) to generates reports. When I was configuring the SSRS 2005 (It is already installed but not configured) on our production server which is having Windows 2008 R2 OS and IIS 7.5. After completing the Reporting services set-up, I have got all necessary green mark on the configuration manager window.

Then I tried to access the Report server http://localhost/reportservers (Normally ReportServer but I configured as ReportServers, you can check the step-bi-step configuration here) and I have got the following page! Great!!

After this I tried to access the Reports url http://localhost/reports and I have got the following wired error message!

And the Source Error and Stack trace are:

I did Google about this and found many suggestios & solutions but this Msdn thread help me to solve this issue, here are the steps:

Step 1: Find out the “RSWebApplication.config”file. (Normally it is located “C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.X\Reporting Services\Reports” but for me under “D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\Reporting Services\ReportManager”)

Step 2: Check the <ReportServerVirtualDirectory> tag element is empty (Check the error message now “element is missing” no?)

Step 3: If so, just add the ReportServer  value in the ReportServerVirtualDirectory tag.

That’s all, we are safe and this problem solved, but you might be getting an other error message at this point (I have resolved this here).

I don’t really know why this element is missing, while configuring “Web Service Identity” it should be added in the config file. Anyway this is a known issue but I wanted to keep for my future reference and this UI steps would save some time of yours too.

References:

1. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/48a1e733-1a47-4c79-b01e-d84fafa779b4/

2. http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic697167-146-1.aspx#bm697180 

, , , , , , , ,

1 Comment