Archive for June 4th, 2012
Deploying a web part solution to the SharePoint using STSADM is an easy task, everyone knows about it. But while developing a web part, sometimes we need to re-deploy the solution again and again. In this case we cannot simply re-deploy the solutions and we have to follow some additional steps to redeploy again.
There are several ways to create the solution file, but I have used the WSPBuilder to create this web part solution. You can see this in my previous post.
There are 2 steps to deploy a solution using stsadm.
- Add solution – Add a solution file to the solution store. See more details here.
- Syntax: stsadm -o addsolution -filename <solution file name>
- Deploy solution – Deploys files related to a solution from the configuration database to individual front-end Web servers in the farm. See more details here.
- Syntax: stsadm -o deploysolution -name <solution name> -immediate -allowgacdeployment -force –allcontenturls
- We need one more command to Executes all administrative timer jobs immediately instead of waiting for the timer job to run. See more details here.
- Syntax:stsadm -o execadmsvcjobs
Ok, we will see the steps here:
Step 1: Open the cmd prompt and change the directory (cd) to stsadm.exe location, I am using SharePoint 2007 so this is the path: “cd c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\bin”
Step 2: Adding the solution, my solution file is in the C:\Temp\
stsadm -o addsolution -filename C:\Temp\WSPBuilderStepBiStep.wsp
Step 3: Deploying the solution
stsadm -o deploysolution -name WSPBuilderStepBiStep.wsp -immediate -allowGacDeployment -force -allcontenturls
Step 4: Executing the timer jobs
stsadm -o execadmsvcjobs
Please note: The name and filename in the above commands, if it is filename we have to use full file path.
When we deploy the solution package without retract and delete then we will get the following error message:
There are many ways to do this (Using UI, WSPBuilder and so…) but here are the steps which I normally used (Specially in the production servers):
- Retract solution: Retracts the specified solution’s deployment which removes files from the front-end Web server. This is actually reversing the deployment. See more details here.
- Syntax: stsadm -o retractsolution -name <solution name> [-immediate] [-allcontenturls]
- Delete solution:Removes a solution file (package) from the solution store. See more details here.
- Syntax: stsadm -o deletesolution -name <name> [-override]
Here are the steps:
Step 1: Retracting the solution
stsadm -o retractsolution -name WSPBuilderStepBiStep.wsp -immediate –allcontenturls
Step 2: Executing the timer jobs
stsadm -o execadmsvcjobs
Step 3: Deleting the solution
stsadm -o deletesolution -name WSPBuilderStepBiStep.wsp –override
Step 4: Re-deploy the solution again, for this follow the steps 1 to 3 in the Deploy!
That’s all, Happy deploying..! 🙂